2 Cups All-Purpose Flour (you can replace this with whole wheat flour for a healthier alternative we actually do 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white)
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Cup Fresh Blueberries, rinsed and picked over, plus 12 whole berries for garnish (Fresh are best, but frozen may be substituted
4 Egg Whites, at room temp.
1 1/2 Cups Plain, Fat-Free Yogurt, at room temperature
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar plus 3 tsp. for sprinkling over tops
1 tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add blueberries to sifted dry ingredients. Stir lightly to coat. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat them at a high speed until they hold soft peaks. Add yogurt, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla and mix for 30 to 45 seconds until combined.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and fold together just until flour is moistened. Batter should not be smooth. Do not over-mix.
- In a nonstick 12-cup muffin pan, divide batter evenly between the cups.
- Place 1 blueberry in the center of each muffin and sprinkle 1/4 tsp. sugar evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are golden. Remove from the tins immediately and allow to cool.
Makes 12 Muffins
Nutritional Information Per Muffin:
Calories: 137; Fat: Negligible; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 245mg; Protein: 5g; Carbohydrate: 29g.
Recipe and Calorie Information taken from the book Thin for Life (by Anne M. Fletcher)