1 Can of Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
1 - 1 1/2 tsp cumin (I use the seeds and grind them into powder in a coffee grinder)
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
Juice from 3 lemons
Cayenne Pepper to taste (I usually use about 1 or 2 tsp)
Optional: 10 large Kalamata olives
Optional: 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Drain the chickpeas and keep about 1/4 cup of the juice, just in case.
- Put the drained chickpeas, the garlic, cumin, Kalamata Olives, and part of the Cayenne pepper in a food processor, turn on the food processor and slowly add the lemon juice until the consistency of the hummus looks right - if you do not have enough lemon juice, then add the left over juice from the canned chickpeas - if you don't need the leftover juice - just discard it.
- Run the food processor for about 5 minutes or until the hummus is the correct texture and consistency.
- Sprinkle Cayenne pepper on top of the hummus to taste.
- Optional: put a pool of olive oil on top of the hummus just before serving.
Note: To improve the taste of the hummus, put it in the fridge for a day before serving it.
This makes about a 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition Information (per Tbsp without oil)
Calories: 27, Carbs: 4, Fat 1, Protein 1